The Steel Reserve
Wars have been fought throughout lifetimes, but few have kept you up at night save for those your family has seen. Your parents were in the Steel Reserve, just as their parents were, and now the legacy has passed to you. You join a long tradition of opposing tyrants, standing up for the common folk, and pushing back against the encroach of Imperium rule. You’ve traveled far and wide, met many in your same predicament, but the tale you all remember is how you were forced from the comforts of civilization and into a life where you now see the evils of the world.
The encroachment of the Alizarin Imperium, the monolithic trade consortium of the One Family, the implacable might of the Coldiron Empire - these world spanning powers breed resentment, resistance, and revolution. Work with your DM to decide what event started you on the revolutionary path, and which power you oppose most directly.
- Choose (1): Deception or Persuasion
- Choose (1): Survival or Athletics
- Choose (1): A language associated with the organization you hope to overthrow
- Choose (1): Forgery Kit or Poisoner’s Kit
Equipment:Either Forgery Kit or Poisoner’s Kit, one set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp.
Feature: Faction Insider
You have contacts with other Steel Reserve members, and you know one another by secret signs and phrases. You know how to get messages to and from your contacts, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you. You can recognize the raiments and signs of those groups you oppose, including their commanders and leaders.
- I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
- I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
- The first thing I do in a new place is note everything valuable—or where they’re hidden.
- I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
- I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
- I don’t pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.
- The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can’t do it.
- I blow up at the slightest insult.
- Honor. I will never expose others who have suffered as I have. (Lawful)
- Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
- Charity. I undermine the powerful so that I can help people in need. (Good)
- Greed. I plan to replace the old order with myself. (Evil)
- People. I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
- Redemption. I must atone for my past complicity in the organization. (Good)
- I seek to expose a secret that my enemies will kill to keep hidden.
- Somewhere out there, I have a child who doesn’t know me. I’m making the world better for him or her.
- Something important was taken from me, and I aim to take it back.
- I come from a noble family, and one day I’ll reclaim my lands and title from those who stole them from me.
- I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
- Someone I loved died because I turned a blind eye to tyranny. That will never happen again.
- When I see an authority figure, I can’t help but insult them.
- When faced with a choice between the revolution and my friends, I usually choose the the cause.
- The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed.
- I have a “tell” that reveals when I’m lying.
- I turn tail and run when things look bad.
- I’m convinced of the significance of my cause, and am blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.